Where are you currently based and what is the music scene like there?
– we’re based in London and the music scene here is awesome. There’s so many established artists but also the new music scene is mad. Some of my faves are the likes of Mahalia, Tom Misch and Ms Banks who have all been making music for a real long time but finally getting the recognition they deserve.
How did you first start playing music?
Dawn – my family is really musical. Both my parents sing and had instruments around the house so I grew up with it. I still have my mums bass and my dad’s guitar hanging in the studio.
Robin – Back when I was a kid I went through a few instruments and settled on the Cello, in typical ‘School of Rock’ fashion I moved on to bass guitar after an incident involving a snooker cue, Feeder’s ‘Buck Rogers’ and some serious air-guitar-ing.
Your new single ‘Serious’ is out now, where and when did you record?
– The original concept of Serious was done a couple of years ago. But back then it sounded completely different production wise! We loved the song but the production just didn’t sit right so we let it be for a little while and then came back to it with fresh ears and re-produced the whole thing. At the time we recorded the initial demos we did most of the production in robins bedroom! Dawn has a little studio called The Shed that gets freezing in the winter (hense the name) and we did the final vocals in there.
What influenced the sound and songwriting for Serious?
– the initial idea came up in a music shop when robin was playing around on a keyboard. Then we took it straight into the studio and had a play with it. It kinda just all happened pretty organically and then it’s grown since then musically in so many ways. Though the original vocals beat all the new takes we tried so we stuck with those!
Serious made BBC’s Introducing in the UK and received radio play on BBC Radio 6, what do you attribute to the success of this track?
– Tom Robinson has supported us before with our previous single so thank you Tom! We always love when we have support from people of any kind. It’s always so subjective but I suppose because Serious has a bit of a different edge what with the mix of rnb and pop and the weird time signatures in the verses maybe that went in our favour this time.
Who are you listening to at the moment?
– H.E.R, James Vickery, Sinead Hartnett, NAO
– Sigrid, Son Lux, Mura Masa, James Blake
Please tell us about the duo that’s made up of Dawn Moss and Robin Pearks:
– Dawn is an RnB soul girl. Robin is an Alt/Scandi-Pop guy. We’re both originally from Devon (but didn’t know that till after we met in London) on the south west coast but have been in London for like 10 years. We met in a pub on a Music night and the rest is history!
You’ll be hitting the UK for a tour this year, where are you headed and when will the tour kick off?
We are playing mostly in London at the moment but here are our upcoming dates:
Feb 25th – The Ned
Feb 28th – 229
March 21st – The Hope and Anchor
Match 25th – Southampton University
What do you have planned for 2019?
– we’ll be releasing our next single Punish over the next couple of months and hopefully will be playing lots of shows for people to come and join us at.
What do you like to do away from music?
– Dawn: I love to travel. Eat. Drink. Dance.
– Robin: Love to Snowboard. Travel. Get buried in a story – whichever format.
Favourite food and place to hangout?
– Dawn: since going to Thailand a couple years ago I live for decent Thai food. Sticky rice and mango is the best! Fav place to hang out is probably shoreditch at the weekend. Give me old school hip hop and rnb and I’m happy Or find a chill pub on the river when the suns out.
– Robin: Dal bhat in the Himalayas. Done deal.