The eagerly awaited Night Noodle Markets presented by Citi has revealed the sizzling menus of this year’s food festival, with a range of bold, rich and diverse dishes from local and Australia-wide favourites. The bustling Asian street food festival will return to Birrarung Marr from 7-24 November, filling the riverside air with spicy, salty and sweet aromas as over twenty sizzling hawker-style stalls take Melbournians on a vibrant flavour journey through Asia.
A feast for the senses for food-lovers who can enjoy the vibrant colours, smells and tastes of signature dishes and ingenious creations from the likes of Gelato Messina, who this year will be transporting festival-goers to tropical Thailand, plus Hoy Pinoy, Let’s Do Yum Cha, POKLOL, Puffle, Twistto, Flying Noodles and Wonderbao – all served with a side of live music and views of the city’s stunning nightscape.
Melbournians and visitors alike can look forward to new and eclectic culinary offerings as they explore the wide variety of tastes and flavours on show from interstate favourites such as Bao Brothers, May’s Malaysian, Waffleland, Wok Master, Donburi Station, Foodie Del Mar, and Raijin.
Gracing the Melbourne Night Noodle Markets for the first time will be Drumplings’ unique modern dumplings, Kumokumo’s Japanese souffle pancakes, The Pham Sisters’ vegan delights, Pinchy’s juicy Maine red lobster and Alaskan king crab rolls, Scoopy Milk Bar’s Korean shaved ice desserts, Potto’s slow-cooked crispy pork, Okonomiyaking’s savoury pancakes, and Fry’d’s ice cream sweet treats.
After its barking-mad success in Sydney, the Night Poodle Markets are set to pop up at the Melbourne Night Noodle Markets from 4-7pm on Saturday 9 November providing the pawfect excuse for a puppy date with a difference. Dog-owners are encouraged to take advantage of the Night Poodle Markets pho-dog-rapher, so they can capture paw-traits with their pooches and claim their very own Night Poodle Markets dog treat.
Tickets cost $5 and include a photo and a dog treat, with 100% of proceeds going to RSPCA Victoria.
Online registrations recommended, with limited spots available on the day –goodfoodmonth.com/melbourne/night-noodle-markets
Here is a taste of what guests can expect from this year’s event, including plenty of vegetarian and gluten free options:
- Bangkok Street Food– Bringing Bangkok’s world-famous street food scene to Sydney with crowd favourites such as Tom Yum Noodles, Bangkok Noodles, Spring Roll, Curry Puff, Crab Net Spring Roll, Grilled Pork Ball, Pad Krapaw.
- Bao Brothers– Bringing the street-food culture of Gua Baos to a whole new level with the ‘peeking cluck’, ‘shroom shady’, loaded sweet potato fries and Korean fried cauliflower.
- Calabang– Crispy calamari with flavour hits to choose from like seaweed, hot and spicy, and paprika seasonings, alongside their foot-long potato fries.
- Dainty Sichuan – At the top of the to-do list for any self-respecting Chinese food-obsessive, Dainty Sichuan will spice things up with their Sichuan cold noodles and fried crispy chicken balls.
- Donburi Station– Donburi will serve up their Japanese rice bowls with beef and chicken, alongside their fusion ‘Tokyo Taco’ with beef served with salsa and toppings on rice, and Japanese Fried Dumplings for something deliciously oily and crunchy.
- Drumplings – The unique modern dumplings that offers a global twist on a traditional classic – think Cheeseburger, Mac & Cheese, Beef Rendang, Truffle Mushroom and Pepperoni Pizza, hand wrapped into a traditional dumpling.
- Flying Noodles– If the sound of ‘Flying Noodles’ doesn’t already demand attention, the names of their offerings sure will, like ‘The Big Boss’, a dish of chicken tenderloin, diced and marinated with soybean paste, roasted sesame, sautéed mushrooms, and bok choy; or the ‘Fist of Fury’, a mix of chicken and pork noodles.
- Fry’D Ice Cream– These fried ice cream sweet treats are bound to be crowd-favourites with flavours like vanilla bean and salted caramel and matcha green tea and white chocolate.
- Fusion Paella & Tapas– An exciting fusion of Spanish-influenced cuisines with paellas, quesadillas and sticky chicken wings.
- Gelato Messina– Gelato Messina will wow the crowds yet again with their new tropical Thai-inspired range including their ‘Eye of the Thai-ger’ – condensed milk pudding, condensed milk crumble, lychee and sala shaved ice, lychee gelato, rainbow jellies; ‘Bangkok Banana’ – Thai milk tea cheesecake sandwiched between tea sponge and dipped in Italian meringue and sprinkled with desiccated coconut; ‘Phuket Bucket’ – deep fried banana fritters, caramelised palm sugar banana gelato, coconut and lime Chantilly, peanut crumble; ‘Coco Phangan’ – Mango sorbet served on coconut sticky rice with salted coconut sauce and toasted coconut flakes.
- Hoy Pinoy – Filipino BBQ street food superstars will serve up grilled pork belly ‘Inihaw na Baboy’, ‘Lechon’ boneless Hoy Pinoy style pig roasted over charcoal served on steamed rice & Sawsawan and barbecued chicken skewers ‘Inihaw na Manok’.
- Hoy Pinoy Cart – These crowd favourites are so popular they need another cart to help feed the masses with their delicious chicken and pork skewers.
- Kumokumo Souffle Pancakes– Kumokumo add to the sweet treat line-up for the first time in Melbourne with their Japanese souffle pancakes, tiramisu, crème brûlée and soft cream in a cone.
- Let’s Do Yum Cha– Enjoy all the Yum Cha favourites including dumplings, steamed buns and spring rolls, handmade daily using local ingredients.
- May’s Malaysian– Incorporating a fusion of dishes with Malaysian cuisine, May’s sizzles with their mee goreng, Singapore noodles, nasi goreng, char kway teow, char bee hoon and fried radish cake.
- Miso Fresh Food Truck– Passionate about delivering a variety of modern Japanese dishes like their soba noodles, yakitori skewers and range of Miso Japanese sliders with asian style pulled pork, pickle, mixed salad, chilli mayo and fries.
- Mr. Miyagi– Cult Melbourne favourite, Mr. Miyagi, will be serving two types of Mr. M’s Saucy Noodz – the ‘Miyagi Fried Chicken’ with popcorn chicken pieces, ramen noodles, creamy spicy Japanese mayo, edamame, golden fried shallots, and the ‘Mushroom Sesame Smash’, truffled soy and sake braised mushrooms, ramen noodles, sesame dressing, edamame, chilli. Both topped with tomato tempura crumble served in an edible waffle basket.
- Nem n’ Nem– Will bring the taste of Vietnamese street foods to Melbourne food lovers with their burger bao buns, bánh mì baguettes and vermicelli rice noodle salads.
- Okonomiyaking– Literally meaning ‘grilled as you like it’, these favourites will see diners surprised and delighted with their savoury pancakes, best served with a side of Teriyaki cheese steak fries.
- Pham Sisters– Vegan Vietnamese street food at it’s best with gluten free steamed dumplings, vegan crackling pork bánh mì, vegan sizzling vietnamese pancake, and vegan BBQ duck noodle salad.
- Pinchy’s– Will be bringing their affordable luxe-seafood to the markets with their ‘Maine to Melbourne’, mouth-watering Maine red lobster on fresh, crunchy rolls, wasabi prawn rolls, truffle fries, and creamy crab croquettes.
- POKLOL x Puffle– The ‘Real Puff Daddies’ will be offering their mouth-watering Korean BBQ Tacos, Chi Chi Fries, KFC Puffle, Cheeseburger Puffle and their new Ultimate Puffle.
- Potto– Real, healthy and delicious food to warm market-goers’ souls – think 36-hour slow-cooked signature crispy pork bowls, vermicelli noodle salads and burgers.
- Raijin– Delicious Japanese cuisine from Raijin will see guests enjoy chicken karaage noodles, tofu karaage noodles, chicken karaage and gyoza dumplings.
- @Roll Up– The Roll Up team are bringing their A-game with roti dippers, Peking duck spring rolls, soft shell crab roti rolls, and pork and chive dumplings.
- Sambal Kampung– With seven restaurants across Melbourne, Sambal Kampung will give guests a glimpse into Malaysian cuisine, with fried koew toew, chili clams, seafood popiah, and roti canai with curry chicken.
- Scoopy Milk Bar– Serving up popular Korean shaved ice desserts, Bingsu, with a Melbourne twist with flavours such as Midnight Delight (Black Sesame Bingsu), Mango Sunrise, Royal Taro and Mochi Donut.
- Shallot Thai – Offering an abundance of authentic Thai tastes, Shallot Thai will see market-goers enjoy flavourful classics like Pad Thai, Pad See Ew, Crackling Pork Noodles and Vegetable Spring Rolls.
- Teppanyaki Noodles– The Japanese noodle kings will offer up a modern take on traditional dishes with their Yakisoba stir-fry and Teriyaki Chicken Fantastick.
- Tokosan- Contemporary street style Japanese cuisine such as tempura fish tacos with Asahi beer battered fish, slaw and avocado wasabi mayo, and ‘Ramen Spag Bol’ with mince, eggplant, teriyaki, miso and spring onion.
- Twistto– Famed for their unique original hand-cut twisted potatoes made with a secret recipe batter and carefully blended flavours, their original Korean Twistto Potato is always a sure-fire winner.
- Waffleland– These Instagram-worthy waffles topped with all sorts of delicious toppings are not to be missed, with the fantastically named Bangkok Night, Dancing Dragon, Lucky Fortune, Black Panda and Cheeky Monkey.
- WAWA Tokyo’s Inspired– Dishes inspired by the colourful, innovative and bustling city of Tokyo from the Bangkok Street Food team including sashimi tacos, gyoza buns, volcano sushi rolls, and rice curry creamy bombs.
- Wok Master– Temperatures are set to soar with their succulent roasted duck with Hokkien noodle in XO sauce, Singapore noodles with chicken, and steamed golden fish balls with dipping sauce.
- Wonderbao- Will bring their homemade fresh steamed buns with flavours like their Korean Chicken Gua Bao, Roast Pork Belly Gua Bao, Fried Tofu Gua Bao, Char Siu Bao, Choi Bao and Nai Wong Bao to delight market-goers’ appetites.
This year, Citi is opening its doors to customers and non-customers alike in The Citi Lounge. You’ll find the Melbourne laneway style bar and seating area on the Middle Terrace. In addition to the Citi Lounge, Citi will offer all Night Noodle Markets attendees a chance to play the ‘Citi Wall of Fortune’, a lucky-draw game letting attendees pick one of 300+ stacked noodle boxes to see if they contain a prize.
Want to be rewarded for using your Citi credit card? Citi are giving you $10 cashback when you spend $50 or more on food and beverage purchases when you pay with a Citi credit card. Note, this offer is limited to $10 per account. Terms and conditions apply.
Melbourne Lord Mayor Sally Capp said she is looking forward to the Night Noodle Markets returning to the city.
“The Night Noodle Markets is a true celebration of Melbourne’s amazing food culture, with hundreds of unique dishes on offer from some of our city’s best chefs,” the Lord Mayor said.
“This year the City of Melbourne is also pleased to announce a specially curated Federation Bells performance on Friday, 15 November to tie in with the foodie festival of the Night Noodle Markets with council’s annual Melbourne Music Week. Located at the end of Birrarung Marr – the Federation Bells are a unique public musical display which will host a free outdoor dance party right alongside the market.”
“The Night Noodle Markets is an event for all-ages to enjoy as the weather warms up and I’d encourage everyone to head down to picturesque Birrarung Marr and get involved.”
Win A Holiday To Bangkok For Two!
The Night Noodle Markets are also partnering with Amazing Thailand to give one lucky festival-goer a holiday for two to Bangkok (valued over $5,000) including three nights at the Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park, return flights with Thai Airways, daily buffet breakfast at Goji Kitchen + Bar, and a delicious Bangkok Food Tour.
Beating The Queues Has Never Been So Easi
For market-goers wanting to take it Easi and skip the queues, the Night Noodle Markets are partnering with the number one Asian food delivery app in Australia, Easi. Food-lovers will simply need to find the Easi food delivery hub at Birrarung Marr, download the Easi app, place their order and get their food delivered straight to them at the Easi Activation!
Monday & Tuesday 5pm – 9pm
Wednesday & Thursday 5pm – 10pm
Friday 5pm – 11pm
Saturday 4pm – 10pm
Sunday 4pm – 9pm
Melbourne Good Food Month presented by Citi will return in June 2020, inviting bon vivants to re-imagine Melbourne’s buzzing food scene over thirty delectable Winter days. Further details about Melbourne Good Food Month 2020, will be announced soon.
To view the full program, visit: https://www.goodfoodmonth.com/melbourne/night-noodle-markets/
Facebook & Instagram @goodfoodmonth #nightnoodlemarkets