FABRIC 95: ROMAN FLÜGEL
Roman Flügel’s path has been a musical one since childhood: beating drums in his basement, experimenting with all manner of gear under the watchful gaze of his uncle’s pin ups, turning his understanding of the world upside down with young forays to the Omen club and eventually abandoning his classical music studies for an unparalleled career in electronic music.
With the release of his very first productions in the early 90s he became part of the legendary German label family of ‘Playhouse’, ’Klang Elektronik’ and ‘Ongaku’ – where he would release almost all his early music. At the same time, alongside Ata, Heiko M.S.O. and Jörn Wuttke, Roman stumbled into the music business and the Frankfurt Techno scene, with clubs like Omen and Offenbach’s Robert Johnson. A few years later, the crew will have formed the spine of the scene for a decade or more spawning notable sounds, trends, scenes and more than a few classic hits – like Flugel’s and Wuttke’s ‘Rocker’ as Alter Ego (forever an immortal highlight of fabric’s Room 1 stage), Isoleé’s ‘Beau Mot Plage’ or Villalobos’ ‘Easy Lee / Dexter’.
“The Club has been incredibly supportive for so many years now! I will never forget our first Live performance as Alter Ego during the peak of the success of our single ‘Rocker’ in Room One. It was pure mayhem.. Also the incredible feeling I had DJing Room Two for the first time. So intense!” – Roman Flügel
Flügel had numerous production aliases, producing constantly around his schedule as a touring DJ, the most important ones for him being Eight Miles High, Soylent Green, Tracks On Delivery and Roman IV. The three labels got into financial trouble during the early days of “downloading for free” and the bankruptcy of their distributors led to their closure. Since then Roman has worked with another key independent German label, DIAL, releasing three albums and a handful of 12”s.
His mix for fabric comes more than a decade after he first appeared at the club and fabric 95 champions the sound that Roman Flügel has explored in various forms since the early years: abstract, idiosyncratic and tense at times, but ultimately warm and inviting. “It’s supposed to be a little dance music adventure.” – Roman Flügel states.
Seamless mixing provides a platform for all manner of emotive melodies, vocals and oddities to flourish over the 75 minute run time. There are striking moments throughout, like Pional’s 2017 remix of ‘Pale Blue – Comes Home’, Randomer’s ‘Juju’ on L.I.E.S and the spectacular ‘Touch Absence (Intimidating Stillness Mix)’ from Lanark Artefax’s recent Whities EP.
Obscure, minimal cuts like the 2011 Ricardo Villalobos collaboration ‘RoRic’, a remix of Lawrence – ‘Clouds and Arrows’ and El Kid’s ‘Kachinja’ sustain the groove at select moments whilst Roman flaunts his affinity for peculiar vocals on Benjamin Fröhlich’s remix of City Kids ft. Joe Goddard – ‘Tell Me’. Blissful entries like his own ‘Troubled Mind’ and ishi vu’s serene ‘Lucid Dream’ provide a point of contrast for exploring the darker sentiments like Eamon Harkin’s ‘Are You Listening?’ and mangled breakbeat of Red Rack`em – ‘Mad House’ whilst straight up dancefloor killers like Two Of A Kind’s ‘Like This’, Rebolledo – ‘Want (Danny Daze & Shokh´s Fears Come Dub)’ and the acid, dubby feel of DJ Normal 4 feat. F.B.Wibe – ‚Hu Strike’ exemplify the diversity of his track selecting abilities.
1. Genesis P-Orridge & Psychic TV – White Sky [Genesis P-Orridge (BMI)]
2. RiRom – RoRic (Original) [Raum…Musik]
3. Tuff City Kids feat. Joe Goddard – Tell Me (Benjamin Fröhlich Long Journey Remix) [Permanent Vacation]
4. Roman Flügel – Troubled Mind [Phonica]
5. Koehler – Oblivious Pool (Invisible Dub) [Die Orakel]
6. ishi vu – Lucid Dream [Studio Barnhus]
7. Pale Blue – Comes Home (Pional Remix) [Me Me Me]
8. Lawrence – Clouds And Arrows (Roman Flügel Remix) [Mule Musiq]
9. Two Of A Kind – Like This [Housetime]
10. Eamon Harkin – Are You Listening? [Mister Saturday Night]
11. Red Rack`em – Mad House [Bergerac]
12. El Kid – Kachinja [Left Blank]
13. Lanark Artefax – Touch Absence (Intimidating Stillness Mix) [Whities]
14. Randomer – Juju [L.I.E.S.]
15. Rebolledo – Want (Danny Daze & Shokh´s Fears Come Dub) [Hippie Dance]
16. DJ Normal 4 feat. F.B.Wibe – Hu Strike [Klasse Wrecks]
17. Karma – Cha [Innamind Recordings]
18. Ghost Culture – Perseus [Phantasy Sound]
19. Fetnat – Marbrahh [Nous Disques]
20. Solitary Dancer – Birth Of Saturn [Graded]
21. Bartellow – Amnesia [ESP]
22. D.H.S. – Fascinating [Tino Corp.]